Should I Watch Local Films Again ?




I watch more Hollywood movies than any other movies. I guess for most movie lovers, it's the same case as Hollywood dominates the film industry more than any other country. I do, however, has some passion on other movies, such as the Bollywood movies, and Japanese movies (which I am not ashamed to admit, mostly are tokusatsu or anime related). How about my local films? Malaysian movies? Well, I don't know, man.

If you are a Malaysian or if you follow Malaysian cinema scene, it can be seen that it is not triumphant. It is not a money-making machine like Hollywood, or not even in terms of producing good, high quality films like Japan, Italy or Frence. Most films released here are in Malay language, catered for Malay audiences, and most of them are, I would say, not good. In terms of production value, as well as the films' messages as well. But I guess the scene is changing now.

Back in 2011, when I was in Form 4, I was really into local cinema scene. I followed the updates on newly movies released, what movies are coming soon, and I watched them eagerly. Despite being heartbroken by the bad aftertaste of them, over and over, I still watch them regardless. That was during the era of monopoly of Metrowealth movies. I would not even call them movies actually. Ergh. More like a bunch of 1 hour and 30 minutes of visual stimulations being marketed cheesily every month. Quantity over quality. There were good movies anyway, around this time. There were Songlap, Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa (it's a good effort) and KL Gangster (I like it). Then in 2012, I stopped giving a damn about local cinema scene after I lose my "mindblowing film experience virginity" upon watching The Dark Knight for the first time. Then I got into Hollywood movies till today.


Believe it or not, I own a DVD of this movie.

The thing is, Malaysian films were not always bad. Of course, we got our golden age during P. Ramlee's era around the 60s. Then there were also still good quality films around the 80s and entering the 2000s, I can still recall a lot of great local films from various genres that kept me entertained and educated during my child phase. Aziz M Osman and his XX-Ray and Senario movies (the first 4), and other films by Afdlin Shauki like Buli, Sumolah and Baik Punya Cilok. Hell, I would say Baik Punya Cilok is one of our best films.



Rosyam Nor in Kala Malam Bulan Mengambang. One of our best actors in one of our best films.

Mamat Khalid around these time was great too. His movie, Kala Malam Bulan Mengambang (2008) which was made in a black and white format, with the 60s noir vibes, was a really good film for its content and presentation. Mamat Khalid was at his triumph during the 2000s up to 2010s, with his Man Laksa, Zombi Kampung Pisang, and the brilliant Hantu Kak Limah Balik Rumah. His recent movies, well, I like him as he is one my favourite local directors, but his recent works are not as good as what he did before.

The domination of Metrowealth films as well as the strong magnet on Hollywood (post Avengers, every studios started to gear up), caused me to lose interest in local films. However, recently I notice there is a change, in our local scene. Local filmmakers coming out to make good films, and our audiences are still being supportive. We got Nik Amir Mustapha with his KIL and Terbaik Dari Langit. KIL is my favourite local movie as for now. I can see there are more films and series with this urban-noir type coming out, which got me interested. It's the local publisher FIXI kind of vibes that got me.



Damn I surely love the urban-noir vibes and night cityscape views in KIL. And there was Cristina Suzanne too.


Astro Shaw involving themselves in helping our local fimmaker to make recent good films such as The Journey and Ola Bola. U Wei Haji Saari returns with his film Hanyut, Dain Iskandar Said with his Interchange, and local books are being adapted to cinematic format as well. Ramlee Awang Murshid adapted his book, Tombiruo into a big-budgeted movie with the help of Seth Larney. Talking about Tombiruo, well.. I watched it at the theater, and I would say that it had it's hiccups, but definitely a good attempt.

Seeing how local filmmakers are starting to make good films, the bad filmmakers started to slow down (cough no more cheap visual stimulations around), and the increasing support of local audiences, it build a good vibe for anyone, especially a movie lover, to start watching local films again. So I guess while I would still be picky, I am opening up to watch upcoming new local films.

Comments