Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Review




Man.. I don't know. Okay look, I might not be the most hardcore Potterhead among my friends but that does not mean I cannot review this film for the sake of it being a.. film. I watched all Harry Potter movies and even the first Fantastic Beasts and I would say Harry Potter franchise is one of the biggest film franchise in league with Star Wars and Lord of The Rings.

However, Fantastic Beasts 2 didn't do it for me. It was muddled, messy and too convoluted. They hyped us for Grindelwald and Dumbledore and yet they focused on a super-complicated storyline of a family lineage of a certain character. Look, it's not wrong to take that as an aspect of your movie's storyline, but it is a MAJOR problem if it was the only conflict that exists. Plus this isue was not because I am a not big Potterhead, because even amongst the fans themselves, this puzzle plotline was too messy and convoluted.

The pacing was so slow and there were just too many characters. Remove one or two characters and still, nothing would change. The main execution of the plot was basically characters moving from one place to another, with some encounters, with the super convoluted plot in the middle of it.

Another thing that annoyed me was that this movie was like 90% a set up for the next movie. It did not stands on its own merit. Quite a letdown from JK Rowling.

5/10

Comments